From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-project@l.g.o" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 05:48:24
1 Dnia 2015-09-30, o godz. 20:15:37
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Dnia 2015-09-30, o godz. 16:01:16
5 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > the Gentoo Council will meet again on Sunday, October 11 at 19:00 UTC in
8 > > #gentoo-council on freenode.
9 > >
10 > > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
11 > > or vote on.
12 >
13 > I would like to get a final decision/vote on what to do about projects,
14 > herds, etc. and the relevant metadata.
15
16 Since this whole thing turned into a huge mess where people keep
17 bringing solutions to their own problems without defining them, I'm
18 going to try to organize this into smaller topics which should be
19 suitable for discussion. If someone could improve this split, I'd
20 appreciate.
23 1. Herds vs projects. Are projects enough? Don't we need a 'more
24 lightweight' maintainer groups that don't have a wiki page?
25
26 2. Group e-mail addresses. Aren't they supposed to be unique? Should
27 more than one project share the same e-mail alias? How is that supposed
28 to work when the projects can have different members? (related: e-mail
29 alias autogeneration)
30
31 3. Wiki as reference project metadata store. We already kept project
32 metadata in website and we all know how it all turned out. Moving them
33 to wiki sounded fine when the alternative was CVS but we have
34 proj/api.git know. (don't confuse this with exporting the data)
35
36 4. Wording. If we decide that projects are enough, can we make 'herd'
37 a synonym of 'project', and avoid unnecessary renames?
38
39 5. Herd/project names vs e-mail addresses. How to make them more
40 consistent and ease bug assignments? (related: metadata.xml)
41
42 6. Autogeneration of mail aliases. Do we want it? How should it work?
43
44 7. Future of herds.xml. Should we autogenerate it from Wiki or replace
45 with another file serving the same purpose?
46
47 8. Changes in metadata.xml. How to solve the issue of ordering between
48 <herd/> and <maintainer/>? Can be related to solving the issue of bug
49 assignment when project e-mail doesn't match the name.
50
51 9. Backwards compatibility. How much effort will be required to fix all
52 the software? Is the change worth the effort? What about semi-external
53 services which Gentoo users use but are unlikely to be fixed in short
54 time?
57 I hope this covers all the ideas that have been floating around here.
60 Best regards,
61 Michał Górny
62 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>