From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-project@l.g.o" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:15:59
1 Dnia 2015-09-30, o godz. 16:01:16
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > the Gentoo Council will meet again on Sunday, October 11 at 19:00 UTC in
5 > #gentoo-council on freenode.
6 >
7 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
8 > or vote on.
9
10 I would like to get a final decision/vote on what to do about projects,
11 herds, etc. and the relevant metadata.
12
13 This has been discussed multiple times (at least [1] and [2] recently)
14 with no consensus so far. What's even worse, this has resulted in some
15 developers refusing sane changes [3] just because there's no official
16 consensus on 'the greater scheme'. The lack of any action results
17 in bugs piling up:
18
19 a. we still have no official way of figuring out whose approval is
20 meaningful regarding packages (project on wiki? herds.xml?).
21
22 b. Herd->project delegation became broken along with Wiki migration.
23 Mike has recently worked around this by copying project members from
24 wiki verbatim [4]. Sadly, this means we're back to having project &
25 herd members mis-synced.
26
27 c. Nobody has done anything about bug assignment -- we still have to
28 figure out what e-mail does the herd use.
29
30 d. Even then, different projects are using different rules for filling
31 metadata.xml.
34 In particular, I'd like to push the scheme proposed by myself at [5].
35 Long story short:
36
37 1. We keep herds.xml and bless it the official source of project/herd
38 metadata. Which means reusing the reusable format and keeping backwards
39 compatibility with most of the software out there.
40
41 1a. We stop the pointless, meaningless and frustrating bikesheds about
42 by what name we call them. Projects, herds, teams -- let's make them
43 all synonyms and finally be done with it because I'm really tired of
44 technical threads being hijacked on naming bikesheds.
45
46 1b. The project listings on Wiki become non-binding. In the future, we
47 may update them automatically from herds.xml but that's not a priority.
48
49 1c. We may also automatically add members to mail aliases from
50 herds.xml if someone really wants that. But again, not a priority.
51
52 1d. So, the official rule becomes: if you want to contact developers
53 who are maintainers of the package, use !herd. If you want to contact
54 all people interested in its issues, use !expn.
55
56 2. We deprecate <herd/> in metadata.xml and assign herds/teams/projects
57 via e-mail addresses. This keeps partial backwards compatibility with
58 existing tools and solves the bug assignment issue.
59
60 2a. If someone really cares about this, we add an extra attribute or
61 element which indicates the 'kind' of <maintainer/>. Otherwise, we just
62 match herds.xml by e-mail address.
63
64 This idea has seen no negative replies. I'm willing to do the necessary
65 work to get it working, in particular updating herds.xml
66 and metadata.xml using the script I prepared one year ago. I can also
67 update willikins.
68
69 [1]:https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/526a5be120b3a14096ede7eef8431fde
70 [2]:https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/44ef7ed7c2d9d29c23078d25d84b202b