From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:17:43
1 On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > It is unfortunate that things fall through the cracks at infra, and
3 > more and more useful tools are not provided by services under
4 > gentoo.org, but by personal initiatives and hosted on other domains.
5 >
6 > For this reason I propose that Sven Wegener, Michał Górny, and Patrick
7 > Lauer be made members of the infra team, because they get things done
8 > that the other infra members don't (for whatever reason, not pointing
9 > fingers here). I'm thinking here about useful tools such as:
10 >
11 > - https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo-portage-rsync-mirror
12 > - http://cgit.gentooexperimental.org/
13 > - #gentoo-commits bot
14 > - AutoRepoman
15
16 I think this is an interesting proposal. While the current infra
17 members are no doubt technically strong, I think there currently
18 exists an organization problem in that team in that they are failing
19 to scale with the rest of the community. I have offered to help out a
20 bunch of times, as I know others have, and clearly some people are
21 making a positive contribution without being infra members, but it
22 feels to me like all of that would be much more efficient if they were
23 actually part of infra.
24
25 I do think this discussion deserves its own thread, since this thread
26 is already being contaminated with way too much repetition.
27
28 Cheers,
29
30 Dirkjan