From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:17:29
1 On Monday, January 23, 2017 6:00:52 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:21:12 -0500
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > It may be worth considering getting volume licensing, ie: advertise to
6 > > > companies to either buy a block of subscriptions themselves which they
7 > > > can
8 > > > grant access to X number of people.
9 > >
10 > > Not sure what you mean by advertise.
11 >
12 > On the "Subscribe" page, you get a "Single Developer Subscription" option,
13 > and a "Company Subscription" option.
14
15 Are you implying a paying subscription to a newsletter that should be free? I
16 was under the impression you mean like paying for actual advertising, like
17 spots in the news letter or on the website.
18
19 > Though it would have to be a pretty sizeable company with a lot of staff
20 > using Gentoo, or the discounted rate would have to be substantiative to work
21 > out for them.
22
23 I do not see businesses spending money on Gentoo for a variety of factors. As
24 a business owner myself I have no incentive. Gentoo would waste my money and
25 not direct it toward development. Gentoo has no plans to use the money to
26 further development.
27
28 I would be better off doing what companies do now. Hire people who are Gentoo
29 developers, and/or can become one. Then I can pay them to do directly what I
30 want. By passing anything within Gentoo, Trustees, Council, etc.
31
32 Companies are doing this now. They have no reason to give money to Gentoo
35 William L. Thomson Jr.