From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:58:10
1 On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:17:25 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I do not see businesses spending money on Gentoo for a variety of factors. As
5 > a business owner myself I have no incentive. Gentoo would waste my money and
6 > not direct it toward development. Gentoo has no plans to use the money to
7 > further development.
8 >
9 > I would be better off doing what companies do now. Hire people who are Gentoo
10 > developers, and/or can become one. Then I can pay them to do directly what I
11 > want. By passing anything within Gentoo, Trustees, Council, etc.
12 >
13 > Companies are doing this now. They have no reason to give money to Gentoo
14
15 When you talk about yourself, I think you're not asking the right question.
16
17 Given:
18
19 - There are opensource organisations
20 - There are companies that give them money
21 - This is a thing
22 - These organisations typically don't have focused directed outcomes from said
23 donations ( because if the donations were earmarked it would be a payment,
24 for services rendered, not a donation )
25
26 Why do companies give their money away?
27
28 Also, have you considered Gentoo *could* create workflows where given gentoo
29 developers do specified volumes of work, planned in advance, for pay, using
30 money given to them by organisations?
31
32 Grant Structure.
33
34 And its not like Gentoo doesn't need developers, or have lots of ugly things
35 that require somebody to basically be a full time developer to get it done.
36
37 Hence, Companies that *USE* Gentoo are the primary audience *because* they use Gentoo,
38 and are thus a natural benefactor from any Gentoo improvement.
39
40 And as Gentoo is important to their businesses success, it makes sense to invest in that
41 infrastructure you're otherwise getting for free.