From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Tinderbox and building everything
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 02:13:28
1 On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > THAT is the bottleneck - getting people motivated to triage logs (which can be
3 > automated quite far) and file bugs (which is demotivating and exhausting). You
4 > fix that problem and the rest is easy ...
5
6 Agree for the most part.
7
8 Also, nobody needs "permission" to run a tinderbox. If you want to
9 run one, just do it! Complaining about other people not doing it
10 isn't terribly productive.
11
12 The typical tinderbox approach I've seen is that you have a suite of
13 tests that get run as frequently as the box can manage, and if a test
14 fails everybody stops committing and cleans up the tree. Such a model
15 basically makes dealing with errors everybody's problem, and not just
16 the tinderbox guy's.
17
18 The problem is that with something like Gentoo the permutations are
19 fairly extensive, the tree is extremely diverse, and I could see
20 countless arguments about what constitutes an error that needs to be
21 fixed. That might be part of why nobody wants to run a tinderbox.
22
23 If you want to find bugs, though, a real easy way to start is to just
24 unpack the current stage3, set the profile to kde or gnome, stick
25 gnome/kde-meta in world, and do an emerge -auDNv world. There is a
26 decent chance that you'll run into a build failure, just like anybody
27 trying to install Gentoo for the first time. Seems like a good place
28 to start if anybody wants to do a tinderbox (note that I haven't done
29 this too recently - for a while I was doing it monthly and filing bugs
30 fairly consistently)...
31
32 Rich