From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Tinderbox and building everything
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 00:28:22
1 On Friday 09 May 2014 17:43:43 hasufell wrote:
2 > I used to believe it's lack of manpower/time or even laziness, but I am
3 > not sure anymore.
4 >
5 > blah blah tinderbox
6
7 So, as someone who has done lots of package building in the past ...
8
9 My actual "tinderbox" was 12 lines of bash, split over two files. It's
10 absolutely not a technical problem.
11
12 On my old hardware (dualcore amd64) I generated about 1k package build logs a
13 day, with my current hardware that should easily be 5k logfiles.
14
15 Now the "building" part is relatively boring, but now you have the logfiles,
16 you should do something with them. My heuristic was to grep for "Error:" at
17 the beginning of a line, that was unique enough that I only saw two false
18 positives so far. On a good day that was about 150 files to process.
19
20 (There's some interesting setup issues that you'll encounter, but most of
21 those can be scripted away, e.g. some packages need kernel sources -> emerge
22 gentoo-sources; cd /usr/src/linux; make defconfig modules_prepare )
23
24 With an optimized workflow I could get my processing time to around one minute
25 per logfile on average, my personal best was filing 160 bugs in 90 minutes. This
26 is a lot of tedious work - and I stopped doing it once Flameeyes was doing the
27 same and we had about 90% "the same" bugs, thus making my work redundant
28 enough that it wasn't worth the time.
29
30 THAT is the bottleneck - getting people motivated to triage logs (which can be
31 automated quite far) and file bugs (which is demotivating and exhausting). You
32 fix that problem and the rest is easy ...
33
34 If you expect this to happen in any reasonable way ... either pay me to do it
35 (I have the experience, but not the time), motivate others (hahaha), or do it
36 yourself.
37
38 Have fun,
39