From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 14 August 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:02:21
1 On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:01:31 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 00:20:21 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > There's still the issue that we haven't decided what [use] deps do
7 > > > when they show up in profile files. We were sticking at 1 until we
8 > > > worked that out.
9 > >
10 > > Ah, about that. It will be useful if [use] deps in package.mask
11 > > worked unlike in package.use.mask, thus giving us a tool to
12 > > temporarily mask packages which are broken only with given flags.
13 > >
14 > > For example, likely it was potentially useful to do something like:
15 > >
16 > > # something support with intel broken in this version
17 > > =media-libs/mesa-N.N.N[someflag,video_cards_intel,!video_cards_radeon,!video_cards_nvidia]
18 > >
19 > > With meaning: mask mesa-N.N.N if 'someflag' and 'video_cards_intel'
20 > > are enabled, and 'video_cards_radeon' an 'video_cards_nvidia' are
21 > > disabled.
22 > >
23 > > This will make lives easier both for devs (who wouldn't have to
24 > > work-around this) and users (for those who will benefit from new
25 > > mesa, and those who will not upgrade and break their systems).
26 >
27 > The issue there is whether the package mangler should try to solve
28 > that by tinkering with which flags are selected. The way Paludis
29 > implements it currently, it would just treat the package as being
30 > masked and wouldn't try the upgrade; I believe at one point Brian was
31 > talking about doing something clever with Pkgcore there and using
32 > that syntax to do use flag masking instead.
33 >
34 > Whichever route we go, there's also the UI question: how do we present
35 > this to users in a sensible way?
36
37 The intent is not to anything clever but just mask the package. Intel
38 users don't want mesa without support for their card; they simply don't
39 want the broken version at all.
40
41 It should be presented alike regular package.mask, with the whole
42 atom string.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny