From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: "gentoo-project@l.g.o" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council Elections Results for term 2014-2015
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:12:50
1 It is regrettable that the leak occurred, but I think the impact of the leak is overblown. If any council member feels that his ability to make sound technical judgments was compromised by the leak, then he should resign. If none believe that they have been compromised, then I see no reason to worry about "bad winners". We presumably voted on our perceptions of the technical decisions that others would make. Knowledge of how people voted is irrelevant in making technical decisions.
2
3 That being said, I am concerned about retribution in the form of harassment from the losers. Such behavior has no place in an open source project, but I fear that not everyone subscribes to this ideal. Little can be done about those that do not, but c'est la vie.
4
5 The most we can do now is to endeavor to prevent recurrences of this leak. I think it is important that the election officials not "beat themselves up" over this. Nothing is a better teacher than experience and any feelings of regret are best channelled into the positive outlet of being more careful in the future. e.g. making a checklist of what to do and another checklist of what not to do.
6