From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>, gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] [RFC] New doc & policy
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 15:15:50
1 On czw, 2017-07-20 at 19:36 +1000, Sam Jorna wrote:
2 > On 20/07/17 18:02, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > * ability to request keywording on additional architectures (but note
4 > > that most of arch teams are against proactive keywording) and to request
5 > > stabilization;
6 >
7 > Stabilisation requests can also be filed by users per [1] without being
8 > the maintainer.
9
10 This is not the point. The point is, you can't file
11 a keywordreq/stablereq against a package that's not in ::gentoo. So
12 being a proxied maintainer means you can submit a package that will go
13 stable.
14
15 > > * full decision power — we restrict the right to reject or override your
16 > > decisions at the review level,
17 >
18 > s:restrict:reserve:
19
20 Good catch.
23 > > * ensure that the package follows the best practices (preferably of our
24 > > own accord),
25 >
26 > I'm not sure what this wording is supposed to mean.
27
28 That was supposed to be 'your own accord'. The generic idea is that we
29 want proxied maintainers to use newest EAPI, follow current policies
30 and so on. Should I give those examples in the doc?
31
32 > > ==How to become a proxied maintainer==
33 > > There is no special process for becoming a proxied maintainer — you
34 > > become one when your first commit is merged.
35 >
36 > Perhaps just "You are assigned as the maintainer when your first commit
37 > is merged". Might also be worth suggesting the first commit be to update
38 > metadata.xml.
39
40 I'll think how to reword that.
43 > > Our team will review the submitted files and help you bring them to the
44 > > top quality. Once the package is ready, we will merge it and close the
45 > > relevant bugs (if there are any).
46 >
47 > The bugs should probably be assigned to the maintainer for them to close
48 > (if suitable) or otherwise deal with, as described below.
49
50 It's about maintainer-wanted bugs. I don't really see a reason to
51 reassign this kind of bug and tell maintainer to close it afterwards.
52
53 > > * If the package has an existing maintainer, he will be asked to ACK
54 > > your changes and approve your request. Gentoo developers can reject a
55 > > proxied maintainer if they have a good reason to do so.
56 >
57 > Other Gentoo devs can also proxy commits in-place of Proxy Maintainers,
58 > as in proxy-maint is not included at all, at the other developers
59 > discretion.
60
61 This is documentation of proxy-maint project, so working outside proxy-
62 maint is really irrelevant here.
63
64 > > ===GitHub pull requests===
65 > > The preferred way of submitting your contributions is through [https://g
66 > > ithub.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls pull requests on our GitHub repository].
67 > > At the moment, it gives the best response time, and the widest audience
68 > > for reviews.
69 >
70 > Unless we're actively pushing for Github over other methods, I'd avoid
71 > "preferred"; but I'm not overly fussed either way.
72
73 I can make it 'most efficient' if that makes you sleep better. Fact is,
74 pull request can get reviewed and merged within a few days. Bugs rot.
75
76 > > It is recommended that you try to keep the same commit structure as
77 > > you'd use when committing straight to Gentoo as a developer, and follow
78 > > the best git practices (atomic changes, proper commit messages). For
79 >
80 > A link to [2] or [3] may be useful here (or, at least, /somewhere/).
81
82 Yeah, I'm still thinking of how to solve this best. Maybe a separate
83 section on git with links would be helpful, since right now things seem
84 to be a little split between the three methods.
85
86 > > The alternative to GitHub is to use the [https://archives.gentoo.org/gen
87 >
88 > s:The:One of the:
89
90 Done.
93 > > You need to explicitly use <kbd>repoman full -e y</kbd> to verify the
94 > > experimental profiles.
95 >
96 > What about developer profiles (`repoman full -d`) and checking metadata
97 > (`repoman full -x`)?
98
99 Out of scope. I wanted only to give the generic note that things won't
100 work out of the box for the common case of ~arm64.
101
102 It's first time I hear that I need '-x' for anything. Why is that?
103
104 > > ===Keywording & stabilization===
105 > > As a proxied maintainer, you can request [https://devmanual.gentoo.org/k
106 > > eywording/index.html keywording and stabilization] of your packages.
107 > > However, all those requests need to be approved by proxy-maint team
108 > > member (or a regular developer co-maintainer) first.
109 >
110 > As mentioned previously, others can request stabilisation as well.
111
112 The point is that you need approval from proxy-maint. Compare with
113 today's bug when an user CC-ed arches on a bug that hasn't even been
114 assigned.
115
116 > > ===The maintainer bug===
117 > > Since proxied maintainers do not have full access to the Gentoo
118 > > developer services, the proxy-maint project is using ''maintainer bugs''
119 > > to track status of the proxied maintainers.
120 > >
121 > > Once your first contribution is merged, we will create the maintainer
122 > > bug for you. We will note your name and/or nickname (for communication
123 > > purposes) and your e-mail address used in metadata.xml. We will
124 > > afterwards use the bug to track the changes in your e-mail address and
125 > > your contributor status.
126 > >
127 > > If you ever change your Bugzilla e-mail address, please remember to
128 > > submit an update to your package {{Path|metadata.xml}} files. We will
129 > > also note the new e-mail address on the maintainer bug.
130 >
131 > This implies maintainer address and bugzilla address may be different,
132 > which will annoy bug wranglers to no end.
133
134 Are you suggesting that I make it 'submit an update ... first'?
135
136 > > proxy-maint project), please send an email to [[mailto:gentoo-dev@lists.
139 > Something is off with the email syntax here - it's not rendering
140 > properly. Also, CC proxy-maint@lists.g.o?
141
142 Yeah, extraneous '['. Fixed now.
143
144 > It might also be good to finish with a list of links to resources, such
145 > as the references below, devmanual, and maybe PMS.
146
147 I was thinking about it but I think they'd be better on top-level proxy-
148 maint project page.
149
150 > Otherwise, comments aside, looks good to me - certainly less cumbersome
151 > than the beast I created.
152 >
153 > Good work, and thanks.
154 >