From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] [RFC] New doc & policy
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:36:19
1 On 20/07/17 18:02, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > * ability to request keywording on additional architectures (but note
3 > that most of arch teams are against proactive keywording) and to request
4 > stabilization;
5
6 Stabilisation requests can also be filed by users per [1] without being
7 the maintainer.
8
9 > * full decision power — we restrict the right to reject or override your
10 > decisions at the review level,
11
12 s:restrict:reserve:
13
14 > * ensure that the package follows the best practices (preferably of our
15 > own accord),
16
17 I'm not sure what this wording is supposed to mean.
18
19 > ==How to become a proxied maintainer==
20 > There is no special process for becoming a proxied maintainer — you
21 > become one when your first commit is merged.
22
23 Perhaps just "You are assigned as the maintainer when your first commit
24 is merged". Might also be worth suggesting the first commit be to update
25 metadata.xml.
26
27 > Our team will review the submitted files and help you bring them to the
28 > top quality. Once the package is ready, we will merge it and close the
29 > relevant bugs (if there are any).
30
31 The bugs should probably be assigned to the maintainer for them to close
32 (if suitable) or otherwise deal with, as described below.
33
34 > * If the package has an existing maintainer, he will be asked to ACK
35 > your changes and approve your request. Gentoo developers can reject a
36 > proxied maintainer if they have a good reason to do so.
37
38 Other Gentoo devs can also proxy commits in-place of Proxy Maintainers,
39 as in proxy-maint is not included at all, at the other developers
40 discretion.
41
42 > ===GitHub pull requests===
43 > The preferred way of submitting your contributions is through [https://g
44 > ithub.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls pull requests on our GitHub repository].
45 > At the moment, it gives the best response time, and the widest audience
46 > for reviews.
47
48 Unless we're actively pushing for Github over other methods, I'd avoid
49 "preferred"; but I'm not overly fussed either way.
50
51 > It is recommended that you try to keep the same commit structure as
52 > you'd use when committing straight to Gentoo as a developer, and follow
53 > the best git practices (atomic changes, proper commit messages). For
54
55 A link to [2] or [3] may be useful here (or, at least, /somewhere/).
56
57 > The alternative to GitHub is to use the [https://archives.gentoo.org/gen
58
59 s:The:One of the:
60
61 > You need to explicitly use <kbd>repoman full -e y</kbd> to verify the
62 > experimental profiles.
63
64 What about developer profiles (`repoman full -d`) and checking metadata
65 (`repoman full -x`)?
66
67 > ===Keywording & stabilization===
68 > As a proxied maintainer, you can request [https://devmanual.gentoo.org/k
69 > eywording/index.html keywording and stabilization] of your packages.
70 > However, all those requests need to be approved by proxy-maint team
71 > member (or a regular developer co-maintainer) first.
72
73 As mentioned previously, others can request stabilisation as well.
74
75 > ===The maintainer bug===
76 > Since proxied maintainers do not have full access to the Gentoo
77 > developer services, the proxy-maint project is using ''maintainer bugs''
78 > to track status of the proxied maintainers.
79 >
80 > Once your first contribution is merged, we will create the maintainer
81 > bug for you. We will note your name and/or nickname (for communication
82 > purposes) and your e-mail address used in metadata.xml. We will
83 > afterwards use the bug to track the changes in your e-mail address and
84 > your contributor status.
85 >
86 > If you ever change your Bugzilla e-mail address, please remember to
87 > submit an update to your package {{Path|metadata.xml}} files. We will
88 > also note the new e-mail address on the maintainer bug.
89
90 This implies maintainer address and bugzilla address may be different,
91 which will annoy bug wranglers to no end.
92
93 > proxy-maint project), please send an email to [[mailto:gentoo-dev@lists.
96 Something is off with the email syntax here - it's not rendering
97 properly. Also, CC proxy-maint@lists.g.o?
98
99 It might also be good to finish with a list of links to resources, such
100 as the references below, devmanual, and maybe PMS.
101
102 Otherwise, comments aside, looks good to me - certainly less cumbersome
103 than the beast I created.
104
105 Good work, and thanks.
106