From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] Packages up for grabs
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 16:27:30
1 Hey Gokturk,
2
3 This is great info; and I'll work on this on the weekend and post
4 back, as I'm backed up a wee bit atm.
5
6 thx,
7 James
11 On 03/06/17 22:34, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
12 > james:
13 >>>>> PS, where is the latest draft of the devmanual and related
14 >>>>> documents, related to EAPI-6.
15 >> Between proxy-maint, mentors, gentoostats, GSoC, graduate school and
16 >> real life issues, devmanual doesn't get the attention it deserves
17 >> unfortunately. I'll try to deprioritize proxy-maint and mentors in the
18 >> coming months to pay more attention to the others hopefully.
19 >>
20 >>> No problem. Is there a suggested reading list to get current with
21 >>> proxy-maint, gentoo-github basics and other useful docs for proxy work?
22 >>
23 > There's a Gentoo Github Guide here:
24 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Github
25 >
26 > Let's try to be more goal oriented here and try to establish a
27 > development environment first. If you want to learn how to utilize
28 > Github for pull requests:
29 >
30 > - Login to your account, browse to 'https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo'
31 > and click the 'Fork' button on the upper right
32 > - If you haven't added your SSH key to Github, do so before proceeding:
33 > https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-new-ssh-key-to-your-github-account/
34 > - Clicking the fork button should redirect you to the page of your fork
35 > of the repository. Click the 'Clone or download' on the screen, copy the
36 > URI (should look something like 'git@××××××.com:gktrk/gentoo.git').
37 > - Clone your fork to an appropriate directory in the local machine (I
38 > use "~/stuff/gentoo") by typing 'git clone <URI> <DIR>' where <URI> is
39 > the URI you obtained from the previous step and <DIR> is the destination
40 > directory. For example "git clone git@××××××.com:gktrk/gentoo.git
41 > ~/stuff/gentoo".
42 >
43 > Looks like radeontop has a new release (v1.0) according to:
44 > https://github.com/clbr/radeontop/releases. Now let's do a dummy
45 > practice with this fresh dev environment:
46 >
47 > - make sure you have app-portage/repoman installed
48 > - cd into the radeontop package directory in the repo:
49 > $ cd ~/stuff/gentoo/x11-apps/radeontop
50 > - For simplicity, copy the 0.9 ebuild as 1.0:
51 > $ cp radeontop-0.9.ebuild radeontop-1.0.ebuild
52 > It needs more work but we're going to ignore that for now
53 > - Regenerate the manifest:
54 > $ repoman manifest
55 > It will download the tarball for the version 1.0 and record its checksum
56 > - Let's do a bare-bone QA check:
57 > $ repoman full
58 > Uh-oh, it spits 6 'dependency.missingslot' and 1 'ebuild.notadded'
59 > warnings for me. Let's worry about fixing them later.
60 > - Now let's do a runtest, it'd be nice to know if this thing works out
61 > of the box:
62 > $ ebuild radeontop-1.0.ebuild install
63 > This command will go through all the ebuild phases up until
64 > src_install() in the correct order: pkg_pretend() -> pkg_setup() ->
65 > src_unpack() -> src_prepare() -> src_configure() -> src_compile() ->
66 > src_test() -> src_install().
67 > - Let's eyeball the installation image:
68 > $ find /var/tmp/portage/x11-apps/radeontop-1.0/image/
69 > I see 'radeontop' under sbin, there's a so-file in lib etc.
70 > - It compiles fine for me, let's perform a clean:
71 > $ ebuild radeontop-1.0.ebuild clean
72 > It will remove all the stuff under '/var/tmp/portage/x11-apps/radeontop'
73 > - Let's commit this. There are two ways to go about it. We prefer the
74 > following:
75 > $ git add radeontop-1.0.ebuild
76 > $ repoman commit
77 > If you don't have a PGP key set, repoman will refuse to commit. If you
78 > don't know how to set it up, you can commit the following way:
79 > $ git add radeontop-1.0.ebuild Manifest
80 > $ git commit
81 > Either way, it will pop-up an editor for you. Make sure the first line
82 > looks like the following:
83 > x11-apps/radeontop: bump to 1.0 -- DO NOT MERGE, TEST PURPOSES ONLY
84 > - Let's push our changes on our fork back to github:
85 > $ git push
86 > - We're done with the command line, browse to the page of our fork on
87 > github. You should be able to see your commit on that page. Click
88 > 'Compare' that is under the green 'Clone or download' button.
89 > - Now you are looking at the total changes you've made. Click the green
90 > 'Create pull request' button on the screen.
91 > - This will create you a template for the pull request and fill in the
92 > title for you. In the body where it says 'Leave a comment', type the
93 > following:
94 > Not ready for merge yet. Pinging @gktrk.
95 > - Click the button 'Create pull request'.
96 >
97 > Once you get to this stage, I'll help you out with the rest. This setup
98 > is far from being optimal and we will need to change many other things
99 > in the future. For now, it should give you some of the basics.
100 >
101 > --
102 > gokturk
103 >