From: Gokturk Yuksek <gokturk@g.o>
To: james <garftd@×××××××.net>, gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] Packages up for grabs
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 03:34:26
1 james:
2 >>>> PS, where is the latest draft of the devmanual and related
3 >>>> documents, related to EAPI-6.
4 > Between proxy-maint, mentors, gentoostats, GSoC, graduate school and
5 > real life issues, devmanual doesn't get the attention it deserves
6 > unfortunately. I'll try to deprioritize proxy-maint and mentors in the
7 > coming months to pay more attention to the others hopefully.
8 >
9 >> No problem. Is there a suggested reading list to get current with
10 >> proxy-maint, gentoo-github basics and other useful docs for proxy work?
11 >
12 There's a Gentoo Github Guide here:
13 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Github
14
15 Let's try to be more goal oriented here and try to establish a
16 development environment first. If you want to learn how to utilize
17 Github for pull requests:
18
19 - Login to your account, browse to 'https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo'
20 and click the 'Fork' button on the upper right
21 - If you haven't added your SSH key to Github, do so before proceeding:
22 https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-new-ssh-key-to-your-github-account/
23 - Clicking the fork button should redirect you to the page of your fork
24 of the repository. Click the 'Clone or download' on the screen, copy the
25 URI (should look something like 'git@××××××.com:gktrk/gentoo.git').
26 - Clone your fork to an appropriate directory in the local machine (I
27 use "~/stuff/gentoo") by typing 'git clone <URI> <DIR>' where <URI> is
28 the URI you obtained from the previous step and <DIR> is the destination
29 directory. For example "git clone git@××××××.com:gktrk/gentoo.git
30 ~/stuff/gentoo".
31
32 Looks like radeontop has a new release (v1.0) according to:
33 https://github.com/clbr/radeontop/releases. Now let's do a dummy
34 practice with this fresh dev environment:
35
36 - make sure you have app-portage/repoman installed
37 - cd into the radeontop package directory in the repo:
38 $ cd ~/stuff/gentoo/x11-apps/radeontop
39 - For simplicity, copy the 0.9 ebuild as 1.0:
40 $ cp radeontop-0.9.ebuild radeontop-1.0.ebuild
41 It needs more work but we're going to ignore that for now
42 - Regenerate the manifest:
43 $ repoman manifest
44 It will download the tarball for the version 1.0 and record its checksum
45 - Let's do a bare-bone QA check:
46 $ repoman full
47 Uh-oh, it spits 6 'dependency.missingslot' and 1 'ebuild.notadded'
48 warnings for me. Let's worry about fixing them later.
49 - Now let's do a runtest, it'd be nice to know if this thing works out
50 of the box:
51 $ ebuild radeontop-1.0.ebuild install
52 This command will go through all the ebuild phases up until
53 src_install() in the correct order: pkg_pretend() -> pkg_setup() ->
54 src_unpack() -> src_prepare() -> src_configure() -> src_compile() ->
55 src_test() -> src_install().
56 - Let's eyeball the installation image:
57 $ find /var/tmp/portage/x11-apps/radeontop-1.0/image/
58 I see 'radeontop' under sbin, there's a so-file in lib etc.
59 - It compiles fine for me, let's perform a clean:
60 $ ebuild radeontop-1.0.ebuild clean
61 It will remove all the stuff under '/var/tmp/portage/x11-apps/radeontop'
62 - Let's commit this. There are two ways to go about it. We prefer the
63 following:
64 $ git add radeontop-1.0.ebuild
65 $ repoman commit
66 If you don't have a PGP key set, repoman will refuse to commit. If you
67 don't know how to set it up, you can commit the following way:
68 $ git add radeontop-1.0.ebuild Manifest
69 $ git commit
70 Either way, it will pop-up an editor for you. Make sure the first line
71 looks like the following:
72 x11-apps/radeontop: bump to 1.0 -- DO NOT MERGE, TEST PURPOSES ONLY
73 - Let's push our changes on our fork back to github:
74 $ git push
75 - We're done with the command line, browse to the page of our fork on
76 github. You should be able to see your commit on that page. Click
77 'Compare' that is under the green 'Clone or download' button.
78 - Now you are looking at the total changes you've made. Click the green
79 'Create pull request' button on the screen.
80 - This will create you a template for the pull request and fill in the
81 title for you. In the body where it says 'Leave a comment', type the
82 following:
83 Not ready for merge yet. Pinging @gktrk.
84 - Click the button 'Create pull request'.
85
86 Once you get to this stage, I'll help you out with the rest. This setup
87 is far from being optimal and we will need to change many other things
88 in the future. For now, it should give you some of the basics.
91 gokturk