From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] Packages up for grabs
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 20:35:53
1 On 03/06/17 15:07, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > james:
8 >> On 03/05/17 21:43, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
9 >>> Hi,
10 >>>
11 >>> The following packages are up for grabs:
12 >>>
13 >>> net-im/psi net-im/psimedia net-p2p/eiskaltdcpp
14 >>> net-p2p/torrentinfo www-misc/fcgiwrap x11-apps/radeontop
15 >>>
16 >>> -- gokturk
19 >> Hello Gokturk,
20 >>
21 >> I'd made (5) attemps at becoming a gentoo dev. The dev working with
22 >> me, always drop out of support because of backchannel (dev) issues.
23 >> Mainly, I hate IRC and a strong (vehement) gentoo user that
24 >> believes the lack
25 > IRC is not a requirement for working with proxy-maint. It's only
26 > encouraged. I'm fine with most other communication mediums in this
27 > context.
28
29 I'm fine with posting questions to this list and "anyone" can respond
30 with info and suggestions, if that works. That way, it's easy to read
31 for anyone interested in package rescue.
34 >> of an automated intstall for basic gentoo (default) amd/intel
35 >> installs is a source of great ridicule for gentoo. Particularly
36 >> from the hundreds of college age kids I try to recruit to gentoo.
37 >>
38 >> That said, if YOU are will to be my mentor, I take radeontop, as I
39 >> have many old systems with ATI/radeon cards, including fanless R600
40 >> cards.
41 >>
42 > I am currently mentoring someone else and my schedule wouldn't allow a
43 > second person. That being said, I would be happy to be your primary
44 > point of contact and support if you are willing to maintain radeontop.
45 > I think this is a better approach than just reading bunch of docs and
46 > trying to "wing it" with the recruitment application.
47
48 no problem.
51 >> Is torrentinfo look inactive/dead? If it is useful and folks are
52 >> still using it, I'll take that too, although I'll have to set up a
53 >> torrent system, if nobody else is interested in this one.
54 > Unfortunately, I've assigned that package to another
55 > proxied-maintainer this morning per his maintainership request.
56
57 actually good news to me.
60 >> PS, where is the latest draft of the devmanual and related
61 >> documents, related to EAPI-6.
62 > Between proxy-maint, mentors, gentoostats, GSoC, graduate school and
63 > real life issues, devmanual doesn't get the attention it deserves
64 > unfortunately. I'll try to deprioritize proxy-maint and mentors in the
65 > coming months to pay more attention to the others hopefully.
66
67 No problem. Is there a suggested reading list to get current with
68 proxy-maint, gentoo-github basics and other useful docs for proxy work?
69
70 I already have radeontop (9999) installed on one system. Quick peek I
71 did not find anything pending, but I'm not the swiftest hack via
72 github, so some trick on checking up on what need to be done with any
73 package, via github, would we welcome news. I'm mostly an old C/bash
74 hack (cvs), so you know. Let me know, when you can, what I've missed
75 with radeontop, can some quick syntax to check what needs to be done
76 on any given package I proxy-maint.
77
78 I've not had much problem with EAPI-4 or -5 ebuilds but I need to read
79 the up on what's new and trending with EAPI-6.....
83 >> I thought this list was dead. It be nice if proxy folks posted here
84 >> for easy reading of common issues proxy maint folks encounter.
85 >>
86 > We try to cross-post package-up-for-grabs notifications on this list.
87 > I'm going through inactive proxied-maintainers and retiring them after
88 > a certain timeout, so expect more emails like this in the coming months.
89
90 I've been mostly working on ebuilds via /usr/local/portage and
91 /var/lib/layman/ for overlays.
94 I do need to learn git(github) better. That's my biggest issue.
95
96 James
101 >> James
107 > - --