From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Peter <dwosky@××××.com>, gentoo-proxy-maint <gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] Looking for guidance
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:45:54
1 On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 21:24 +0100, Peter wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm looking for some guidance on what package to help with, since the number of packages in need of a maintainer its kinda overwhelming. I would like to start with something simple in order to learn the ropes without being overwelmed by a big ebuild for example. I have my eyes on net-misc/wput bump (https://bugs.gentoo.org/647848), which doesn't seem much complicated, but I'm not sure if this is a good choice or if I should start in any other instead.
5
6 The best choice is something you're actually using. I'm sorry but I
7 don't have a command to match your installed packages with maintainer-
8 needed handy. Usually you just notice something you're using is
9 somewhat broken/outdated and that nobody fixes it.
10
11 > Also I believe the thing needed its to do a PR on Gentoo's repository with the change needed, right? Do I need also to update the metadata.xml file or its that done by the Team in a later phase?
14 You update it yourself. If you do something wrong, we'll tell you
15 and probably won't shout at you much ;-).
18 Best regards,
19 Michał Górny