From: Oliver Freyermuth <o.freyermuth@××××××××××.com>
To: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>, gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] How to reactivate after inactive_proxied_maintainer?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 18:33:22
1 Am 18.04.20 um 09:08 schrieb Joonas Niilola:
2 >
3 > On 4/17/20 10:10 PM, Oliver Freyermuth wrote:
4 >> Hi together,
5 >>
6 >> I've sadly kept a version bump request without updates for some months
7 >> (I was actively working with upstream to fix bugs breaking packaging for all distros after a change of buildsystem...).
8 >> Sadly I did not communicate that on the Gentoo bug report, so my proxy maintainer bug is now marked as blocking the dreaded inactive_proxied_maintainer issue.
9 >>
10 >> In the meantime, a new "packageable" version was released, I've updated sys-cluster/charliecloud and the bug is closed.
11 >>
12 >> I've learned my lesson and in the future, will ensure to communicate early on Bugzilla if there is a strong reason a bump is held up
13 >> (I was still faster than almost all other distros, though :-) ).
14 >>
15 >> My question is: How do I rid myself of the inactive_proxied_maintainer "state" on Bugzilla?
16 >> Is this done automatically after a while, after a manual review, or should I (am I allowed to) remove the "blocker" bug link from my maintainer bug myself?
17 >>
18 >> I'm just asking to prevent extra human work in case an automatism triggers retirement and package reassignment,
19 >> forcing me to reapply to become a proxy maintainer again, creating extra work for the proxy maintainer project.
20 >>
21 >> Cheers and a nice weekend to everybody,
22 >> Oliver
23 >>
24 > Hey,
25 >
26 > the proxy-maint bugs are *mostly* automated. However the tracker is used
27 > because it's easier to check status on those who have been added there
28 > without needing to go through *every* people.
29 >
30 > Basically if you have multiple bugs open for packages you maintain and
31 > you haven't responded / fixed them in a long time, it's a sort of a sign
32 > of inactivity. I know some people are active contributing through Github
33 > even if their last login to bugzilla was +6 months ago, but bugzilla is
34 > still the most important site regarding your packages. Some bugs are
35 > fixed, but not closed. Others have been ignored for months/years.
36 >
37 > So please, keep good care of your packages and remember to keep bugzilla
38 > clean on your behalf as well.
39 >
40 > To answer your question: If you know you are active again, you can
41 > remove yourself from the tracker. I'm gonna check it at least weekly
42 > from now on, too.
45 > -- juippis
49 Hey,
50
51 thanks for the detailed reply!
52
53 Indeed, I will monitor Bugzilla more closely from now on. In my case, it was just a single bug,
54 and indeed I definitely should have commented on it much earlier to indicate the status.
55 I've setup an extra "urlwatch" notification to get reminders in case I ever miss a bugtracker mail.
56
57 I've removed myself from the tracker just now, and want to express a great thank you for all the effort
58 spent on identifying inactive maintainers. That's of high importance to get rid of outdated / unmaintained packages from the main tree.
59
60 Cheers and thanks a lot,
61 Oliver