From: tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 16:58:15
1 On 2020-06-07 10:01+0300 Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > […]
4 >
5 > Now to your last sentence, I don't believe it's a matter of "attention
6 > seeking", but more some disgust towards Github. But I'd also like hear
7 > what's this all about. Would Gitlab be better than Github due to
8 > principles?
9
10 Some of the problems with GitHub (and its parent company Microsoft)
11 are:
12
13 * They are doing business with ICE¹, an organisation which runs
14 concentrations camps² and whose director used the Nuremberg defense³
15 when asked about it. Here is a list of articles on the subject: ⁴.
16
17 * Microsoft collaborated with the NSA on the illegal “PRISM” program⁵
18 and collaborates with the U.S. military to conduct mass murder.
19
20 * GitHub is blocking developers in countries facing US trade sanctions⁶.
21
22 * GitHub has been called out repeatedly⁷ for sexism⁸.
23
24 And no, GitLab (the company) would not be much better⁹.
25
26 ¹ U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
27 ² <https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a27813648/concentration-camps-southern-border-migrant-detention-facilities-trump/>
28 ³ <https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/ex-ice-director-ice-can-t-be-equated-to-nazis-since-we-re-just-following-orders-gUCVH4E1CUi5Y73kZqpeNA>
29 ⁴ <https://sneak.berlin/20200307/the-case-against-microsoft-and-github/#collaboration-with-ice-who-runs-concentration-camps>
30 ⁵ <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)>