From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 17:24:22
1 * Haelwenn Monnier:
2
3 > It's not to jump the queue, in fact I get about the same lag in my
4 > experience between GitHub PRs and using email. But it's much less
5 > predictable.
6
7 I don't understand the second sentence; what X is less predictable than
8 what Y, and why? As for the first sentence, I have my doubts, because
9 with less than 1% of contributors posting email patches, the ones that
10 do are very much "in your face" about it.
11
12 > I'd rather avoid GitHub completely, I do use it from time to time but
13 > because I have to.
14
15 I respect your right to dislike GitHub, but this is not about you alone
16 but about having automated CI checks and a unified means of letting the
17 proxy-maint members doing their volunteer job, in their own time, in a
18 comfortable way. Disclaimer: I do not speak for the P-M team, nor do I
19 claim to.
20
21 Another important aspect is that, by using GitHub, you allow only the
22 interested parties to subscribe to your pull requests (and I assume very
23 few would be interested). Posting patches here is, again, "in your
24 face", because rather than individually opting in on GitHub PRs, you are
25 forcing people to opt out every time you post a patch. I consider this
26 both impolite and annoying.
27
28 > And while sending via GitHub sometimes works I also got at least one
29 > PR later reverted because it didn't get a proper ACK from the
30 > maintainers, if I have to also ping them through email, why not just
31 > send the patch via email?
32
33 Because one of your PRs being met with a hiccup does not remotely
34 justify skipping the agreed-upon, preferred method of contribution
35 altogether.
36
37 There are OSS projects that use email-based patches successfully and
38 consistently, like "Notmuch" does. Howevery, Notmuch has the necessary
39 infrastructure to deal with these patches, and a culture of reviewing
40 these patches on the mailing list. Gentoo does not operate this way.
41
42 > There is also the problem of having to sync your repo to GitHub, if I
43 > forget to push gentoo's master to my fork I end up having to send all
44 > the past history manually, and I discovered this one quite later on.
45
46 You must be joking, right? Synchronising two Git remotes is no more
47 complicated than using "git send-email", and even if it was, learning to
48 use Git is mandatory. I remember nearly making a mess of my very first
49 pull request because of a Git-related mistake, which other people
50 obviously noticed. I assure you that I never made that mistake again,
51 and I am confident you can manage as well.
52
53 > Finally, I don't have this issue but github isn't available to
54 > everyone depending on where they live, and often a VPN isn't an
55 > option there, so another option needs to exists.
56
57 As I wrote right off the bat: I know patches *may* be posted here. That
58 does not imply they should, especially if the author, like yourself,
59 admittedly has the ability to use GitHub instead, which is clearly the
60 preferred method of contributing. If GitHub is an option, posting
61 patches here is both unnecessary and rude, in my opinion.
62
63 -Ralph