From: "Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier" <contact@×××××××××.me>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 16:42:35
1 [2020-06-07 10:01:43+0300] Joonas Niilola:
2 > On 6/7/20 2:45 AM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
3 > > Still, I wonder why patches are posted here instead of using GitHub,
4 > > because there is no public review process going on. To me, email-based
5 > > patches on the Gentoo Proxy Maintainer mailing list are at best mildly
6 > > annoying, and at worst an attempt at jumping the queue, i.e. to get
7 > > one's changes processed faster than those made through GitHub. They
8 > > also, in my perception, have a smell of "ooh, look at me, I am working"
9 > > about them.
10 >
11 > I also wonder that. Especially when I know some of the contributors DO
12 > use Github. If you've read this list, you know my feelings about this
13 > subject.
14 >
15 > The automated CI check is a huge plus for both parties, and when I think
16 > about it, the time spent should be rather equal whether you choose
17 > git-send-email or git push. But the review and the 'fixing' part is
18 > definitely cleaner with git push.
19 >
20 > Now to your last sentence, I don't believe it's a matter of "attention
21 > seeking", but more some disgust towards Github. But I'd also like hear
22 > what's this all about. Would Gitlab be better than Github due to principles?
23 >
24 > -- juippis
25
26 Since I'm the one which does send patches through email on proxy-maint:
27
28 - It's not to jump the queue, in fact I get about the same lag in my
29 experience between GitHub PRs and using email. But it's much less predictable.
30
31 - I'd rather avoid GitHub completely, I do use it from time to time but because
32 I have to.
33
34 And while sending via GitHub sometimes works I also got at least one PR later
35 reverted because it didn't get a proper ACK from the maintainers, if I have to
36 also ping them through email, why not just send the patch via email?
37 Specially as metadata.xml already gives me the emails.
38
39 There is also the problem of having to sync your repo to GitHub,
40 if I forget to push gentoo's master to my fork I end up having to send all
41 the past history manually, and I discovered this one quite later on.
42 This was a huge pain when I only had the choice between a slow connection or
43 a metered one.
44 Also see https://forgeperf.org/ for how slow GitHub can get as just a web view.
45
46 Finally, I don't have this issue but github isn't available to everyone
47 depending on where they live, and often a VPN isn't an option there,
48 so another option needs to exists.
49
50 Best Regards,