From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-python] Re: python-any-r1 and MERGE_TYPE
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:05:10
1 On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > After adding python_gen_any_dep to solve issues with dependencies of
5 > python-any-r1 packages, there's yet another thing that needs some of
6 > our attention.
7 >
8 > Most of python-any-r1 ebuilds use Python during build-time only. I'm
9 > not aware of a single python-any-r1 ebuild that would use Python during
10 > pkg_* functions. This means that a typical python-any-r1 ebuild would
11 > need to:
12 >
13 > pkg_setup() {
14 > [[ ${MERGE_TYPE} != binary ]] && python-any-r1_pkg_setup
15 > }
16 >
17 > As you can guess, only a few ebuilds actually do that, and it's not
18 > really friendly to repeat that over and over again.
19 >
20 > While having this snippet missing usually doesn't cause much bad, it
21 > can be quite hurtful to binary packages in the future. Most
22 > importantly, when an ebuild uses uncommon version of Python during
23 > build time, the binary package will fail to install --
24 > python-any-r1_pkg_setup will bail out being unable to find supported
25 > Python.
26 >
27 > Therefore, I think it would be beneficial to add the MERGE_TYPE check
28 > inside pkg_setup. In case someone needs Python during binary package
29 > install, we can (likely in the future):
30 >
31 > 1. add a variable to disable the MERGE_TYPE check,
32 >
33 > 2. add a new function that does the actual Python setup and make
34 > the default pkg_setup() a common-case wrapper for it.
35 >
36 > What are your thoughts?
39 #2 sounds like a solid plan.