From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Cc: python@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] python-any-r1 and MERGE_TYPE
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:39:23
1 Hello,
2
3 After adding python_gen_any_dep to solve issues with dependencies of
4 python-any-r1 packages, there's yet another thing that needs some of
5 our attention.
6
7 Most of python-any-r1 ebuilds use Python during build-time only. I'm
8 not aware of a single python-any-r1 ebuild that would use Python during
9 pkg_* functions. This means that a typical python-any-r1 ebuild would
10 need to:
11
12 pkg_setup() {
13 [[ ${MERGE_TYPE} != binary ]] && python-any-r1_pkg_setup
14 }
15
16 As you can guess, only a few ebuilds actually do that, and it's not
17 really friendly to repeat that over and over again.
18
19 While having this snippet missing usually doesn't cause much bad, it
20 can be quite hurtful to binary packages in the future. Most
21 importantly, when an ebuild uses uncommon version of Python during
22 build time, the binary package will fail to install --
23 python-any-r1_pkg_setup will bail out being unable to find supported
24 Python.
25
26 Therefore, I think it would be beneficial to add the MERGE_TYPE check
27 inside pkg_setup. In case someone needs Python during binary package
28 install, we can (likely in the future):
29
30 1. add a variable to disable the MERGE_TYPE check,
31
32 2. add a new function that does the actual Python setup and make
33 the default pkg_setup() a common-case wrapper for it.
34
35 What are your thoughts?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny