From: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Cc: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:47:22
1 Den 2012-07-31 18:40:17 skrev Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>:
2
3 > On 31 July 2012 20:14, Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Den 2012-07-31 16:09:10 skrev Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>:
7 >>> On 31 July 2012 15:11, Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Den 2012-07-30 18:05:38 skrev Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)
10 >>>> <neurogeek@g.o>:
11 >>>> [...] As far as I remember 3.2 was added to default PYTHON_TARGETS
12 >>>> value
13 >>>> exactly because of "stage3 has Python 3 by default".
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>> Otherwise known as "fix the symptoms, not the root problem"...
17 >>
18 >> I don't see much of a problem there. Current situation is kinda right
19 >> in my
20 >> opinion, since it smooths future upgrade to Python 3 (which I consider
21 >> inevitable).
22 >
23 > So, because at some undetermined point in the future it would be
24 > smoother to migrate to python-3 as default this way, you want to
25 > burden the great majority of users now with what is for all intents
26 > and purposes to them a useless number of multiple, slotted python
27 > versions?
28 >
29 > I see that as a problem. For the great majority of users python:2.7 is
30 > currently, and for the foreseeable future, the best choice. There is a
31 > great number of packages and libraries that don't work with python-3,
32 > and just a handful that don't work with python-2.
33 >
34 > It also leads to all kinds of spurious bugs, such as people who have
35 > 2.7 set as their default interpreter, but have not removed and masked
36 >> =3.0, so end up with updates, but forget to switch their py3
37 > interpreter to the latest version.
38 >
39 > Until such time this situation becomes radically different, we should
40 > make sure users have the best experience, which is python:2.7 by
41 > default, and python-3 only if they explicitly choose to install it.
42 That's a valid point, and I don't object if by default there will be no
43 Python 3 in Gentoo installation. Provided it'd be accomplished by tweaking
44 dependencies of @system without `dev-lang/python3` weirdness. But I regard
45 current situation as quite logical and acceptable too.