From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:40:22
1 On 31 July 2012 20:14, Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Den 2012-07-31 16:09:10 skrev Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>:
5 >> On 31 July 2012 15:11, Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Den 2012-07-30 18:05:38 skrev Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)
8 >>> <neurogeek@g.o>:
9 >>> [...] As far as I remember 3.2 was added to default PYTHON_TARGETS value
10 >>> exactly because of "stage3 has Python 3 by default".
13 >> Otherwise known as "fix the symptoms, not the root problem"...
14 >
15 > I don't see much of a problem there. Current situation is kinda right in my
16 > opinion, since it smooths future upgrade to Python 3 (which I consider
17 > inevitable).
18
19 So, because at some undetermined point in the future it would be
20 smoother to migrate to python-3 as default this way, you want to
21 burden the great majority of users now with what is for all intents
22 and purposes to them a useless number of multiple, slotted python
23 versions?
24
25 I see that as a problem. For the great majority of users python:2.7 is
26 currently, and for the foreseeable future, the best choice. There is a
27 great number of packages and libraries that don't work with python-3,
28 and just a handful that don't work with python-2.
29
30 It also leads to all kinds of spurious bugs, such as people who have
31 2.7 set as their default interpreter, but have not removed and masked
32 >=3.0, so end up with updates, but forget to switch their py3
33 interpreter to the latest version.
34
35 Until such time this situation becomes radically different, we should
36 make sure users have the best experience, which is python:2.7 by
37 default, and python-3 only if they explicitly choose to install it.
38 --
39 Cheers,
40
41 Ben | yngwin
42 Gentoo developer
43 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin