From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o, python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] How to migrate to the new scheme of Python scripts?
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:21:19
1 On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:49:00 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > However, the upgrade itself seems harder to accomplish. Specifically,
7 > all the simple ways of achieving that would involve changing stable
8 > packages.
9 >
10 > So far, I can think of three solutions, starting with the worst:
11 >
12 > 1. Deploy the new stuff in an overlay (except for python-exec:2
13 > itself), keep it there for some time asking people to test with
14 > eclasses overriding the main tree. Then ask arch teams to stabilize
15 > python-exec:2. When it hits stable, move the changes to the tree.
16 >
17 > 2. Make the new features controlled via make.conf variable. Ask users
18 > to test with it enabled, then file a stablereq for arch teams to test
19 > with the switch enabled, plus stabilize the few packages which will
20 > need direct changes. Then remove the switch and make the new behavior
21 > default for all stuff.
22 >
23 > 3. python-r2, python-single-r2, distutils-r2 :).
26 > Anyone has a better idea?
29 You could make sure that python-exec:2 is marked ~arch and in the
30 eclass check the version installed and switch according to that. For
31 stable users everything will stay the same, and for ~arch users all new
32 installs/upgrades will be switched to the new system. This will even
33 work if we want to mask it for a bit, so developers can test before
34 letting it into ~arch.