From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:16:38
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Matthew Summers
2 <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
3 > Could we not just set a dep as =dev-lang/python:2 so that any version
4 > of python-2.* would satisfy the dep? Or, would this cause issues in
5 > avoiding old versions of python (python-2.5)? It might be enough to
6 > change the portage ebuild to work as it does now for the USE python2
7 > and python3, but in the case where those flags are not set, then just
8 > pull in python:2 which would yield the latest stable version of
9 > python-2.*
10
11 Using an || dep with to separate =dev-lang/python-2* and
12 =dev-lang/python-3* (or something roughly equivalent) is enough to
13 trigger the desired behavior from portage. See my previous message in
14 this thread.
15
16 > For python-updater, I might be inclined to add similar USE to portage
17 > to manage the deps.
18
19 No need for the use-flags. Again, I think the || dep is sufficient.