From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, djc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:05:40
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>> I guess I still think it should be possible to give Portage a hint not
5 >>>> to install a new SLOT if the old SLOT is okay.
6 >>>
7 >>> In this case, I think we would need something more subtle than that;
8 >>> most users would want a hypothetical python-2.8 to be installed, and
9 >>> python-3 users will certainly want to be upgraded to python-3.3 when
10 >>> that lands.
11 >>>
12 >>> In other words, if we tell portage not to upgrade to a new slot
13 >>> automatically, that means users would have to manually install each
14 >>> major release of python.
15 >>
16 >> No, I was going for the kind of effect where being inclusive wrt the
17 >> new major Python version would be controlled in a single place. I.e.
18 >> in the ebuild or in an eclass or some such.
19 >>
20 >> So you'd have SLOT="~3" in the python-3* ebuilds, and Portage would
21 >> know to not install SLOT=3 unless requested explicitly, and at some
22 >> point we'd remove the '~'.
23 >
24 > Where else in the tree could this concept be applied?
25 >
26 > I would prefer to avoid going through the EAPI process if it is just
27 > going to be used for python. And even then, I'm not really excited
28 > about the prospect of explaining it.
29 >
30 > Also, I'm sure that people will whine about the "upgrade path" being
31 > broken if we set EAPI=5 or 6 in the python ebuilds any time this
32 > decade.
33 >
34 > A solution that works within the confines of the current EAPI spec
35 > should be greatly preferred.
38 Could we not just set a dep as =dev-lang/python:2 so that any version
39 of python-2.* would satisfy the dep? Or, would this cause issues in
40 avoiding old versions of python (python-2.5)? It might be enough to
41 change the portage ebuild to work as it does now for the USE python2
42 and python3, but in the case where those flags are not set, then just
43 pull in python:2 which would yield the latest stable version of
44 python-2.*
45
46 I think adding something to EAPI is going to take too long and/or not
47 work well for folks.
48
49 For python-updater, I might be inclined to add similar USE to portage
50 to manage the deps.
53 Matthew W. Summers
54 Gentoo Foundation Inc.