From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Cc: djc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:56:59
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >>> I guess I still think it should be possible to give Portage a hint not
4 >>> to install a new SLOT if the old SLOT is okay.
5 >>
6 >> In this case, I think we would need something more subtle than that;
7 >> most users would want a hypothetical python-2.8 to be installed, and
8 >> python-3 users will certainly want to be upgraded to python-3.3 when
9 >> that lands.
10 >>
11 >> In other words, if we tell portage not to upgrade to a new slot
12 >> automatically, that means users would have to manually install each
13 >> major release of python.
14 >
15 > No, I was going for the kind of effect where being inclusive wrt the
16 > new major Python version would be controlled in a single place. I.e.
17 > in the ebuild or in an eclass or some such.
18 >
19 > So you'd have SLOT="~3" in the python-3* ebuilds, and Portage would
20 > know to not install SLOT=3 unless requested explicitly, and at some
21 > point we'd remove the '~'.
22
23 Where else in the tree could this concept be applied?
24
25 I would prefer to avoid going through the EAPI process if it is just
26 going to be used for python. And even then, I'm not really excited
27 about the prospect of explaining it.
28
29 Also, I'm sure that people will whine about the "upgrade path" being
30 broken if we set EAPI=5 or 6 in the python ebuilds any time this
31 decade.
32
33 A solution that works within the confines of the current EAPI spec
34 should be greatly preferred.