From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>, gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Reducing exceptionality cases for PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:31:31
1 Dnia 2014-10-30, o godz. 16:26:51
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2014-10-30, o godz. 15:21:17
6 > > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> After discussion and review by mgorny, and significantly more testing,
9 > >> here's an updated version of the previous patch.
10 > >>
11 > >> To reiterate, this patch changes python-single-r1 so that if there is
12 > >> only one supported Python implementation that can satisfy the ebuild,
13 > >> then PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET is ignored, and the ebuild is bound by the
14 > >> value(s) set in PYTHON_TARGETS instead.
15 > >
16 > > It is not ignored but not declared, which is good. Ignoring is bad :).
17 > >
18 > > So I was pretty skeptic about this at first but after thinking it all
19 > > over a few times, I think it will work just fine. While it benefits
20 > > only the 'bad' kind of packages and adds some complexity, I believe
21 > > this is a worthwhile change.
22 >
23 > I guess I'm still a little skeptical.
24 >
25 > What is the advantage to making such a change to python-single-r1 as
26 > opposed to just using python-r1 with a single implementation in
27 > PYTHON_COMPAT?
28
29 1. It's easier to use than python-r1,
30
31 2. It doesn't pretend you support multiple implementations. Someone
32 won't get a big zonk attempting to enable python3 support one day.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny