From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Reducing exceptionality cases for PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:26:57
1 On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-10-30, o godz. 15:21:17
3 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> After discussion and review by mgorny, and significantly more testing,
6 >> here's an updated version of the previous patch.
7 >>
8 >> To reiterate, this patch changes python-single-r1 so that if there is
9 >> only one supported Python implementation that can satisfy the ebuild,
10 >> then PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET is ignored, and the ebuild is bound by the
11 >> value(s) set in PYTHON_TARGETS instead.
12 >
13 > It is not ignored but not declared, which is good. Ignoring is bad :).
14 >
15 > So I was pretty skeptic about this at first but after thinking it all
16 > over a few times, I think it will work just fine. While it benefits
17 > only the 'bad' kind of packages and adds some complexity, I believe
18 > this is a worthwhile change.
19
20 I guess I'm still a little skeptical.
21
22 What is the advantage to making such a change to python-single-r1 as
23 opposed to just using python-r1 with a single implementation in
24 PYTHON_COMPAT?