From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Reducing exceptionality cases for PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:43:32
1 Dnia 2014-10-30, o godz. 15:21:17
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > After discussion and review by mgorny, and significantly more testing,
5 > here's an updated version of the previous patch.
6 >
7 > To reiterate, this patch changes python-single-r1 so that if there is
8 > only one supported Python implementation that can satisfy the ebuild,
9 > then PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET is ignored, and the ebuild is bound by the
10 > value(s) set in PYTHON_TARGETS instead.
11
12 It is not ignored but not declared, which is good. Ignoring is bad :).
13
14 So I was pretty skeptic about this at first but after thinking it all
15 over a few times, I think it will work just fine. While it benefits
16 only the 'bad' kind of packages and adds some complexity, I believe
17 this is a worthwhile change.
18
19 Now that Python 2.6 is removed, there are many packages that support
20 only Python 2.7. For those packages, having two control variables is
21 pointless. We still need to keep PYTHON_TARGETS for USE dependency
22 matches against the package but we can safely remove
23 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET for it will be handled properly by (+) and (-)
24 defaults in the eclasses.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny