From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Cc: python <python@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-python] [RFC] Timeline for Python 3.6 adoption
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 13:03:26
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 I think we've reached the point where we should start discussing
4 switching the defaults to Python 3.6. I would like to gather your
5 opinion the following ideas.
6
7 Firstly, I'd like to do two changes simultaneously to reduce --newuse
8 rebuilds:
9
10 a. switching from CPython 3.5 to 3.6,
11
12 b. disabling CPython 3.4.
13
14 I'm thinking of a soft deadline on 2018-06-01, i.e. giving developers
15 a full month to prepare. If things don't go well, we can always
16 postpone it.
17
18 According to my lists, we only have 6 packages relying on py3.4 right
19 now [1] and no pending stabilizations for that. I will report bugs for
20 those packages today.
21
22 The list for 3.5->3.6 migration is longer [2]. However, it seems that
23 many of those packages are rather isolated [3] and apparently
24 unmaintained. Apparently the biggest targets are OpenStack
25 and Flask. It's all doable.
26
27 What do you think?
28