From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, python <python@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-python] Re: [RFC] Timeline for Python 3.6 adoption
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 16:05:51
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > I think we've reached the point where we should start discussing
5 > switching the defaults to Python 3.6. I would like to gather your
6 > opinion the following ideas.
7 >
8 > Firstly, I'd like to do two changes simultaneously to reduce --newuse
9 > rebuilds:
10 >
11 > a. switching from CPython 3.5 to 3.6,
12 >
13 > b. disabling CPython 3.4.
14 >
15 > I'm thinking of a soft deadline on 2018-06-01, i.e. giving developers
16 > a full month to prepare. If things don't go well, we can always
17 > postpone it.
18 >
19 > According to my lists, we only have 6 packages relying on py3.4 right
20 > now [1] and no pending stabilizations for that. I will report bugs for
21 > those packages today.
22 >
23 > The list for 3.5->3.6 migration is longer [2]. However, it seems that
24 > many of those packages are rather isolated [3] and apparently
25 > unmaintained. Apparently the biggest targets are OpenStack
26 > and Flask. It's all doable.
27 >
28 > What do you think?
29
30 June 1 seems a little optimistic to me, but as you said we can push it
31 out if needed.
32
33 This plan makes sense to me.