From: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
To: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:05:47
1 On Jul 30, 2012 9:40 AM, "Nikolaj Sjujskij" <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Seems to me that the easiest way to manage this would be to set
5 >> USE="python2" for portage in the profile, IFF you want to prevent
6 >> python:3 in the stages.
7 >>
8 >> That said, I don't see what the real issue is here. Those that want
9 >> python:2 and/or python:3 will set USE_PYTHON correctly. I am concerned
10 >> here that a vocal minority will cause some invasive change that the
11 >> silent majority cares little about. Some may find the current status
12 >> annoying, others will find the change annoying (me being one of the
13 >> latter).
14 >>
15 >> Unless someone can provide empirical data to backup any claim, one way
16 >> or the other, I would strongly suggest that no change be made,
17 >> especially without further consultation regarding the _proposed_
18 >> change with the developer and user communities.
19 >>
20 >> Thank you for your consideration.
21 >
22 > I as a user could only +1. I can't see the issue, honestly. Those who
23 > don't like Python 3, could jolly well mask it and tweak USE_PYTHON /
24 > PYTHON_TARGETS vars. Using this ugly debianish `python3-3.2` or whatever
25
26 Another thing. PYTHON_TARGETS is set in the gentoo profile as 2.7 3
27 2 as default. If this is true, can we take 3.2 out and make it a user
28 opt-in?
29
30 I don't think 3.2 is necessary in a lot of systems/use cases.
31
32 > is a step back in my opinion. Quite a lot of users could kepp their
33 > systems Python2-less. About half of Python modules (at least) work with
34 > both Python 2 and 3. Heck, even Qt3 and Qt4 were one slotted package!