From: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:12:10
1 Den 2012-07-30 18:05:38 skrev Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)
2 <neurogeek@g.o>:
3
4 > On Jul 30, 2012 9:40 AM, "Nikolaj Sjujskij" <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> Seems to me that the easiest way to manage this would be to set
8 >>> USE="python2" for portage in the profile, IFF you want to prevent
9 >>> python:3 in the stages.
10 >>>
11 >>> That said, I don't see what the real issue is here. Those that want
12 >>> python:2 and/or python:3 will set USE_PYTHON correctly. I am concerned
13 >>> here that a vocal minority will cause some invasive change that the
14 >>> silent majority cares little about. Some may find the current status
15 >>> annoying, others will find the change annoying (me being one of the
16 >>> latter).
17 >>>
18 >>> Unless someone can provide empirical data to backup any claim, one way
19 >>> or the other, I would strongly suggest that no change be made,
20 >>> especially without further consultation regarding the _proposed_
21 >>> change with the developer and user communities.
22 >>>
23 >>> Thank you for your consideration.
24 >>
25 >> I as a user could only +1. I can't see the issue, honestly. Those who
26 >> don't like Python 3, could jolly well mask it and tweak USE_PYTHON /
27 >> PYTHON_TARGETS vars. Using this ugly debianish `python3-3.2` or whatever
28 >
29 > Another thing. PYTHON_TARGETS is set in the gentoo profile as 2.7 3
30 > 2 as default. If this is true, can we take 3.2 out and make it a user
31 > opt-in?
32 PYTHON_TARGETS is used only by a few packages, and not that popular ones
33 at that (sorry, Michał! They're superb but still not widely known), so
34 this variable doesn't implicate things much and default value could be
35 tweaked in profile without much fuss and apprehension. If we find a
36 sane'n'safe way to drop Python 3 from base system, that is. As far as I
37 remember 3.2 was added to default PYTHON_TARGETS value exactly because of
38 "stage3 has Python 3 by default".