From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] RFC: Redesign for 'best implementation' in python-r1
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:41:51
1 On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > The current design for getting the 'best implementation' is far from
5 > pretty. It pretty much relies on constant preference order, setting
6 > Python 2.7 over other implementations for practical reasons. As a side
7 > effect, various ebuilds rely on that particular order, e.g.:
8 >
9 > DEPEND="doc? ( dev-python/epydoc[$(python_gen_usedep 'python2*')] )"
10 > REQUIRED_USE="doc? ( $(python_gen_useflags 'python2*') )"
11 >
12 > which pretty much assumes that *if python2 is enabled*, then any
13 > version of it will be the best impl. I find this disgusting, and I'd
14 > like to replace it with something more explicit.
17 Yeah, relying python_compile_all running under python2.7 is no good.
20 > Specifically:
21 >
22 > 1. python_export_best becomes deprecated for good,
23 >
24 > 2. python_setup changes API to:
25 >
26 > python_setup [<impl-wildcard>...]
27 >
28 > alike python_gen_* functions, defaulting to '*'. Now it chooses
29 > the best impl from implementations matching the specified patterns,
30 > e.g.:
31 >
32 > python_setup 'python2*'
33 >
34 > would get the best version of CPython 2.
35 >
36 > 3. we introduce extra variable for distutils-r1 (oh cruel world, how
37 > should we name it?!) that applies wildcards to python_*_all() phases.
40 This sounds like a reasonable idea, and a natural extension of the
41 python_setup function.
44 > As for the choice within the list the algo needs to stay as-is for now.
45 > However, in the future we could either:
46 >
47 > a. respect EPYTHON and fallback to the other algo,
48 >
49 > b. respect pre-defined order i.e. 3.4 > 2.7,
50 >
51 > c. respect the order in PYTHON_COMPAT -- however that could be a little
52 > surprising to devs.
55 > What are your thoughts?
56
57 Starting/ending with EPYTHON from the environment seems wrong, and
58 doesn't seem to add value anyway.
59
60 I would prefer to stick with a predefined order unless someone can
61 present a case where the ebuild author really needs to control it.