From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:16:34
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:09:11 +0200
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >> Well, maybe we should explore that option. It would seem to solve a
7 > >> real problem that doesn't just apply to python. For example, the
8 > >> SLOT value could be prefixed with something to indicate that it
9 > >> should not be selected for upgrades automatically (i.e. other
10 > >> slots should be preferred).
11 > >
12 > > [facepalm]
13 >
14 > Well, thanks for your constructive participation in this discussion.
15
16 You're saying 'we should explore the option not to upgrade packages
17 without user explicitly saying "please upgrade this package"'.
18
19 > > Or maybe we should explore the option of fixing python.eclass to not
20 > > depend on random python versions implicitly?
21 >
22 > I don't know that it does, but I hope you can enlighten me!
23
24 It does depend on python versions based on $USE_PYTHON. And USE_PYTHON
25 defaults to 2+3 if installed. If it pulls in Python 3, it will pull in
26 all the time unless you set USE_PYTHON manually and remerge all
27 the packages manually.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny