From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:24:04
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > You're saying 'we should explore the option not to upgrade packages
3 > without user explicitly saying "please upgrade this package"'.
4
5 Yes, or until the package maintainer removes the annotation again.
6
7 >> > Or maybe we should explore the option of fixing python.eclass to not
8 >> > depend on random python versions implicitly?
9 >>
10 >> I don't know that it does, but I hope you can enlighten me!
11 >
12 > It does depend on python versions based on $USE_PYTHON. And USE_PYTHON
13 > defaults to 2+3 if installed. If it pulls in Python 3, it will pull in
14 > all the time unless you set USE_PYTHON manually and remerge all
15 > the packages manually.
16
17 It seems to me that we could fix USE_PYTHON to always depend only on 2
18 unless it's explicitly set by the user, but it seems to me that
19 Portage would, in that case, still pull python3 into the stages.
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Dirkjan