From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:50:14
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:23:31 +0200
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > You're saying 'we should explore the option not to upgrade packages
7 > > without user explicitly saying "please upgrade this package"'.
8 >
9 > Yes, or until the package maintainer removes the annotation again.
10 >
11 > >> > Or maybe we should explore the option of fixing python.eclass to
12 > >> > not depend on random python versions implicitly?
13 > >>
14 > >> I don't know that it does, but I hope you can enlighten me!
15 > >
16 > > It does depend on python versions based on $USE_PYTHON. And
17 > > USE_PYTHON defaults to 2+3 if installed. If it pulls in Python 3,
18 > > it will pull in all the time unless you set USE_PYTHON manually and
19 > > remerge all the packages manually.
20 >
21 > It seems to me that we could fix USE_PYTHON to always depend only on 2
22 > unless it's explicitly set by the user, but it seems to me that
23 > Portage would, in that case, still pull python3 into the stages.
24
25 Portage will pull python3 if and only if anything depends on python:3.*
26 or anything depends on python without a SLOT (or either is in @world).
27 If you want it not there, you have to make sure the deps explicitly
28 state it.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny