From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:13:52

After some work during weekend on Python packages I've decided to start a
rewrite of Python/distutils eclass for installing Python packages. My main goal
was simplicity and functionality similar to ruby-ng.eclass (thanks Ruby team for
your great work!). Python team members already contributed comments and
suggestions and helped me to make the eclass better, thank you!

 - *SIMPLE*next
 - uses PYTHON_TARGETS use-expand (no more python-updater, whoooo!)
 - EAPI4 required, uses REQUIRED_USE
 - <400 lines of code including documentation
 - should work for >95% of packages (my educated guess)
 - did I mention it's *SIMPLE*?
 - easy to maintain & read so it's also easy to use

Important thing: I'm not aiming at having 100% functionality of current
python.eclass+distutils.eclass in the new one, I think that simplicity is more
important that supporting every possible, obscure case that's out there.

I'm attaching the eclass itself and two ebuilds using it, code is also available
in my overlay at;a=summary

If there are no objections then during the weekend (March 3, 4) I will add this
to portage (after finishing remaining TODO items, PyPy requires 4G of RAM(!!)).

Krzysztof Pawlik  <nelchael at>  key id: 0xF6A80E46
desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...

File name MIME type
xlwt-0.7.2-r256.ebuild text/plain
xlrd-0.7.1-r256.ebuild text/plain
python_targets.desc text/plain