From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o, python@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Re: [distutils-r1] Improvements to parallel builds
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 17:28:46
1 On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > A two quick improvements to parallel builds using distutils-r1.
5 > 1) use post-fork mode to avoid early output
6 >
7 > In other words, you no longer see 'running X for Y' before it is
8 > actually being run.
11 I assume you know what you are doing here; I'm not that familiar with
12 the multiprocessing eclass.
15 > 2) create split logs for each implementation
16 >
17 > Aside to the usual soup on stdout, the eclass writes separate build logs
18 > for each implementation to ${T}/build-${EPYTHON}.log.
19 >
20 > TODO: replace tee with an awesome use of multitail to display logs
21 > of currently running builds on split-screen.
24 The split logs could be handy for developers.
25
26 I had not considered the ugly bug reports that the multi-job build
27 will generate. If that becomes a major problem, we might need to
28 change the default to single-job, or produce some output to point
29 users to the split logs.