From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:06:51
On 3/13/08, Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
> Hey guys, > > I have an idea I'd like to run by the QA team. > > For a user's portage preferences, we can have /etc/package.mask be a > file or a directory of files (package.mask/*) that will cumulatively > create the same effect. > > Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it might > help it to get organized if we split it up a bit. > > halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal. That > seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be masked. > > Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask. The reason I came up > with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for treecleaners to > quickly see which ones they were working on. > > I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's thoughts > first. I haven't looked into whether or not this is technically > feasible at all.
Yes, I'm sure some will want a GLEP. my proposal would be to create in gentoo-x86, a package.mask.d type dir Come up with a naming scheme. Come up with a tool that can check for duplicate mask entries. Cat all the entries together to form a legacy package.mask so we don't have to deal with backwards compat. Probably use this cat'd package.mask file for the PM with a stat() call on the packge.mask.d dir to force the PM to generate the 'cache'. -Alec