From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-qa] QA confusion: Upstream qa issues -> failing to install
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:08:28
Hi guys,

trying to install openssh on the dev profile one is greated with this

 * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
 *            fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
 * closefromtest.c:46: warning: implicit declaration of function

 * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
 * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
 * Homepage:
 * ERROR: net-misc/openssh-5.5_p1-r2 failed:
 *   install aborted due to poor programming practices shown above
 * Call stack:
 *, line 847:  Called install_qa_check
 *, line 539:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                              hasq stricter ${FEATURES} && die "install
aborted due to" \
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =net-
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =net-
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/net-misc/openssh-5.5_p1-r2/work/openssh-5.5p1'

This looks really really weird. On the one hand we are saying: "Its a QA
issue but upstream should fix it." followed by "It so broke, we wont let
you install it."

Perhaps qa warnings that fail when FEATURES="stricter", should not point
to upstream for the fix. Instead we should take responsibility for these
and consequently allow these bugs to linger in our bugzilla.

What do you tink?
kind regards