From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] BitTorrent release for 2004.3
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:42:21
1 On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 17:54 +0100, Michael Imhof wrote:
2 > 1) The "inofficial" tracker is atm the only tracker we have.
3
4 Currently due to the official tracker dying.
5
6 > 2) It is owned and under control of Stefan Knoblich (stkn@g.o).
7
8 Ahh, thank you for pointing me to the right person for information on
9 the "unofficial" tracker.
10
11 > 3) This tracker is currently doing a good job and working without
12 > problems and keeps all files and isos we have.
13
14 I have heard nothing but good things.
15
16 > 4) http://torrents.g.o has a redirect onto that machine
17 > (http://tracker.netdomination.org).
18
19 Infra has a working tracker which will be torrents.gentoo.org, as far as
20 I know. I know that we have a working tracker, I just do not know if it
21 will be assuming the torrents.gentoo.org hostname, but I would assume
22 that it will.
23
24 > So as we have a working tracker that could hold all files for the new
25 > release and is well known to our user base.
26 > I just don't get the point why we are in need of an official one.
27 > stkns tracker is atm inofficial for political reasons.
28
29 As far as I know (again), nothing should have a gentoo.org domain if it
30 is not run by the infrastructure team. That is why we have to have an
31 "official" tracker. At the same time, we can easily work with an
32 "unofficial" tracker, but that is really not my concern at this point.
33 Currently, I am asking for information from the arch coordinators so I
34 can find out what we have room for on the official tracker. At this
35 time, it looks like the "official" tracker will only be hosting items
36 which we are not capable of storing on our community mirrors due to
37 space constraints. This means that the "official" tracker will *not* be
38 hosting most of the "official" release materials, but only the "extra"
39 materials, such as the sub-arches for x86 and ppc.
40
41 > When we are now having an official tracker that can not hold all files
42 > and an inofficial one that has all files this new situation would
43 > confuse our userbase. Atm we use bittorrent to give them more files than
44 > our official mirror system can hold. So they can download most files
45 > via http/ftp and get additional stuff (or better said if they like all
46 > files) via bt.
47
48 Honestly, I don't know what you're getting all up in arms about. I
49 personally do not care what is going on with the trackers at all. I am
50 just trying to get information from the arch coordinators on what they
51 want offered from our official tracker.
52
53 All other discussion is superfluous at this time.
54
55 > Do we really want to have mirrors and two bt machines?
56 > Why don't we set up mirrors for every file (that's the direction into
57 > which this idea is going imho) ?
58
59 Gentoo currently has ZERO trackers. The current plan is to have the
60 official release materials spread across both the official community
61 mirrors and the official tracker. That being said, there is nothing
62 stopping the "unofficial" tracker from mirroring whatever they want. We
63 are planning on advertising both trackers and depending on what goes on
64 with the unofficial tracker, we will probably be telling people that
65 they can get the entire release from the unofficial tracker. This is no
66 different than it was for 2004.2's release. The only problem was the
67 official tracker died during 2004.2's release. Which begs the question
68 again of what are you getting all up in arms about? I am merely
69 gathering information which I plan on using to discuss with everyone
70 once I have collected it to see what we wish to do for the release.
71
72 > What i personally think is the following:
73 > Why don't we make the existing tracker an official one? It could be
74 > sponsored and maintained by the "Friends of Gentoo / Gentoo e.V.".
75 > We would have no problems with space requirements, no problems with
76 > confusing our userbase etc.
77
78 I don't care. I don't care if the official tracker is a Windows box in
79 Antarctica. I am not the person to talk to about such things and this
80 is not the list to talk about such things. You will need to take that
81 up with the infrastructure team, as anything with a gentoo.org domain
82 name falls to them.
85 Chris Gianelloni
86 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
87 Games - Developer
88 Gentoo Linux