From: Michael Imhof <tantive@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] BitTorrent release for 2004.3
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:54:33
1 Hi all,
2
3 as my name got mentioned i wanted to point out a few things:
4
5 1) The "inofficial" tracker is atm the only tracker we have.
6 2) It is owned and under control of Stefan Knoblich (stkn@g.o).
7 3) This tracker is currently doing a good job and working without
8 problems and keeps all files and isos we have.
9 4) http://torrents.g.o has a redirect onto that machine
10 (http://tracker.netdomination.org).
11
12 So as we have a working tracker that could hold all files for the new
13 release and is well known to our user base.
14 I just don't get the point why we are in need of an official one.
15 stkns tracker is atm inofficial for political reasons.
16
17 When we are now having an official tracker that can not hold all files
18 and an inofficial one that has all files this new situation would
19 confuse our userbase. Atm we use bittorrent to give them more files than
20 our official mirror system can hold. So they can download most files
21 via http/ftp and get additional stuff (or better said if they like all
22 files) via bt.
23
24 Do we really want to have mirrors and two bt machines?
25 Why don't we set up mirrors for every file (that's the direction into
26 which this idea is going imho) ?
29 What i personally think is the following:
30 Why don't we make the existing tracker an official one? It could be
31 sponsored and maintained by the "Friends of Gentoo / Gentoo e.V.".
32 We would have no problems with space requirements, no problems with
33 confusing our userbase etc.
38 Regards
39 Michael
40
41 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
42 > I am trying to gather together materials that we wish to release on the
43 > official BitTorrent and also on tantive's BitTorrent.
44 >
45 > We have a limited amount of space for the official BitTorrent tracker,
46 > so how we add things is dependent on what we add. I need to get
47 > anything that we want to torrent out as quickly as possible so we can
48 > determine our space constraints.
49 >
50 > Currently, I am planning on seeing the i686, pentium3, pentium4, and
51 > athlon-xp PackageCD from x86. I am also hoping I can squeeze in a
52 > ut2004-demo GameCD for both x86 and amd64, but that is entirely
53 > dependent on my time and how quickly I can get one together and working.
54 >
55 > pvdabeel: Do you have anything for PPC that you would like released on
56 > BT that isn't going on the mirrors?