From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] samba on the livecds
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:43:34
1 On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 09:22, Jochen Maes wrote:
2 > Quoting Jeffrey Forman <jforman@g.o>:
3 >
4 > > Maybe someone can clarify this for me..the LiveCD, is:
5 > >
6 > > (1) the INSTALL cd we're all familiar with or
7 > > (2) a Knoppix-like cd that boots into Gnome/KDE/<insert wm>
8 > >
9 > The first
12 > > If (1), honestly...does someone NEED samba upon the install? if they
13 > > have broadband, they can download the files anyways.
14 >
15 > don't agree, nobody has broadband, and some of them have caps (amount of data
16 > transferred. last release i got capped after 2 days (upping grp cd's to mirrors)
17 >
18 > And i definitely put some files on my other systems... and access through SMB or
19 > NFS.
20
21 And don't forget backups too - many people use our LiveCDs as rescue
22 CDs.
23
24 Regardless, a solution needs to be found that satisfies our space
25 requirements (25 MB is way too big) and offers us the functionality that
26 we need. Chris (and others) mentioned a stripped down smbclient package.
27 Can we add a livecd USEflag to the samba ebuild and go from there?
28
29 Cheers,
30 --
31 John Davis
32 Gentoo Linux Developer
33 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
34
35 ----
36 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
37 Fingerprint: 4F9E 41F6 D072 5C1A 636C 2D46 B92C 4823 E281 41BB