From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] request for spec files used for building gentoo-install livecd
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:18:00
1 On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 23:50 -0700, Ted Kosan wrote:
2 > Chris indicated that Catalyst had to be heavily modified in order to allow it
3 > to build the Installer LiveCD which means that the spec files that were used
4 > were probably only useful with the modified version.
5
6 They won't work on the released catalyst version. One thing that I tend
7 to do when creating CD images is hard-code things into catalyst to make
8 it do what I want. Since I am not distributing this modified catalyst,
9 there's no "GPL" requirement of any sort. The main reason I refuse to
10 release it is because it all is a big, ugly, dirty hack and I'd prefer
11 people not see such nasty code coming from me... ;]
12
13 > My thought is that the Installer spec files are probably useless without the
14 > modified codebase and if they were released then this would generate a flood of
15 > distracting questions on the Installer list asking for help on how to get them
16 > to work.
17
18 Correct.
19
20 > Anyway, I am also working on a LiveCD that has capabilities that are similar to
21 > the Installer but I have decided that the best way to do this is to take a
22 > slower approach, dig into the Catalyst source code and try to fully understand
23 > all of the pieced needed to achieve this.
24
25 This truly is the best method, as we won't bother supporting *anyone*
26 trying to use gentoo-release-* as livecd/type simply because the release
27 livecd types *assume* that you're building a Gentoo release and will do
28 things for you that you may or may not want. I've created the
29 generic-livecd livecd/type for others to use. This type doesn't make
30 these assumptions and is designed to be more flexible. Since we don't
31 use these, our spec files would probably be less than helpful.
32
33 > If you are interested in using this approach too we could move this discussion
34 > over to the catalyst list and continue it there :-)
35
36 I look forward to helping you on the catalyst list.
39 Chris Gianelloni
41 Games - Developer
42 Gentoo Linux