From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: kumba@g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 03:25:52
1 On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 23:14, Kumba wrote:
2 >
3 > Switching to a different release schedule in the middle of 2004 could
4 > cause confusion for users. So here's my idea:
5 >
6 > For the remainder of 2004, release our quarterly releases, this means
7 > 2004.2 and 2004.3. Take a big break during the summer for all the
8 > emerge enchancements (including --security) and consider making 2004.2
9 > in late july or early august, followed by 2004.3 in late october or
10 > early november.
11 >
12 > For 2005, One idea which still provides semi-frequent gentoo releases
13 > could be going from a quarterly release schedule to a tri-annual release
14 > schedule, i.e., one every four months. That's still more than other
15 > distros, but it also strikes a nice balance by allowing an average of
16 > probably 3 months for hacking/enhanching, followed by probably a month
17 > or so of the fun process of stage/grp building/testing before release.
18 >
19 > So for 2005, you could do something like:
20 >
21 > Late Jan -- 2005.0
22 > Late May -- 2005.1
23 > Late Sep -- 2005.2
26 > Thoughts?
29 > --Kumba
30
31 The idea for triannual releases definitely has some potential. After
32 2004, which you are right in saying that a change during this time would
33 be disruptive, we can surely do a review and see what works best. As
34 long as we have some type of continual release cycle so that our users
35 can be kept up to date, I will be happy.
36
37 The schedule that you proposed for the remainder of 2004 is what releng
38 actually the same as what we have planned presently ;) Check out the .2
39 info page -
40 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2004.2/2004.2.xml
41
42 Thanks for your input -