From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 03:13:18
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > I didn't see Bob's original message, but he, Pieter and now myself are
4 > going to be saying exactly the same thing.
5 >
6 > Quarterly releases are too ambitious. We need to slow down.
7 >
8 > Right now, we're so focused on quarterly releases that we cannot take
9 > enough time to develop features that may take longer than three months to
10 > code, test and get ready to go.
11 >
12 > As Pieter pointed out earlier, if we want to release something in July and
13 > do proper QA on it ahead of time, we don't really have much time to do any
14 > actual *development*. Who cares if we're releasing 4 new versions a year
15 > if they're all identical save for minor cosmetic/typo stuff?
16 >
17 > Quarterly releases need to stop.
18
19 Switching to a different release schedule in the middle of 2004 could
20 cause confusion for users. So here's my idea:
21
22 For the remainder of 2004, release our quarterly releases, this means
23 2004.2 and 2004.3. Take a big break during the summer for all the
24 emerge enchancements (including --security) and consider making 2004.2
25 in late july or early august, followed by 2004.3 in late october or
26 early november.
27
28 For 2005, One idea which still provides semi-frequent gentoo releases
29 could be going from a quarterly release schedule to a tri-annual release
30 schedule, i.e., one every four months. That's still more than other
31 distros, but it also strikes a nice balance by allowing an average of
32 probably 3 months for hacking/enhanching, followed by probably a month
33 or so of the fun process of stage/grp building/testing before release.
34
35 So for 2005, you could do something like:
36
37 Late Jan -- 2005.0
38 Late May -- 2005.1
39 Late Sep -- 2005.2
42 Thoughts?
45 --Kumba
48 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
49 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
50 elsewhere." --Elrond
53 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list