From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: ppc@g.o, ppc64@g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] ppc outlines for the release
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:52:17
1 Hi all,
2
3 I had a talk about the release with corsair last Friday and
4 tried to point out some things for ppc32 and ppc64.
5
6 Although ppc64 is able to use multilib, we would do separate
7 releases. Well, we could include two squashfs on the LiveCD
8 and boot separate kernels, but that will only stress our
9 mirrors as every ppc-user has to download stuff he (mostly)
10 does not need.
11
12 ppc32 prerelease LiveCDs will be ready soon (I just need to
13 run livecd-stage2 when I get genkernel to work properly ;)).
14 If it's possible we would like to mirror them like x86 and
15 let some users with brand-new Apple-hardware test them. Our
16 kernel will be 2.6.12 (I use that snapshot), as this one
17 gives much more support for new Apples. I will include two
18 or three kernels on the LiveCD: common Apple, Pegasos and
19 probably RS/6000. Still we need a confirmation if initramfs
20 works on Pegasos (I guess not, or only with the patch
21 plasmaroo had to create for the Itaniums).
22
23 ppc32 is missing a 2005.1-profile! This is urgent and must
24 be done soon, so that I can test it. Changes would be to
25 create profiles for G3, G4, Pegasos, rs6k and OldWorld.
26 Mostly some USE-Flags must be set or another default
27 bootloader.
28
29 ppc64 has a nice new profile, but it seems that there are
30 some hickups ;-)
31
32 We want to cut the support of too many stages and GRP-sets.
33 My aim is:
34 * ppc32-generic (ppc60x, G3/ppc75x)
35 * ppc32-altivec (G4/ppc74xx)
36 * ppc64
37
38 That means stripping G3 and G5 ppc32 stages and GRP. The
39 difference between ppc-generic and G3 is too small that we
40 need separate stages for it. The main-difference on ppc32
41 is altivec-enabled/-disabled what gives enormous performance
42 boosts. G5-ppc32-stages will also vanish, as ppc64 is able
43 to provide multilib-support, running 32/64-bit-userland with
44 a 64-bit-kernel, like on amd64. And so a 32-bit-only system
45 makes no sense.
48 My personal problem is that I had to switch from the Pegasos
49 to a PowerMac 533 as my release-build-machine. But somehow
50 that machine is not much slower than the Pegasos, so that I
51 think I can create the stages and LiveCD on my own (needs
52 about 14 hours for stage1-3). But I really need help in the
53 GRP-bulding. If we want to provide kde-meta, the machine
54 will need more than three days for a complete GRP build...
55 But I already talked to corsair that I may get an account on
56 his Dual-G5 and can build the stages in a chroot. Or I'll
57 come over to him for a cup of coffee (hey, he lives in my
58 10km-bicycle-radius! :-) ), while the GRP-set builds.
59
60 So far the status of ppc-release-building. If you have any
61 comments (I hope, I told everything correct about ppc64),
62 just reply to this message or reach me on IRC (when I'm
63 online ;) ).
64
65 Regards, Lars
68 Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o> +49-171-1963258
69 Gentoo Linux PowerPC : Developer and Release Engineer
70 Gentoo Infrastructure : CVS Administrator
71 Gentoo Foundation : Trustee
72 --
73 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list