From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, ppc64@g.o, ppc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: ppc outlines for the release
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:18:59
1 <snip>
2
3 > Although ppc64 is able to use multilib, we would do separate
4 > releases. Well, we could include two squashfs on the LiveCD
5 > and boot separate kernels, but that will only stress our
6 > mirrors as every ppc-user has to download stuff he (mostly)
7 > does not need.
8
9 Agreed. ppc and ppc64 will have separate livecds for this release.
10
11 <snip>
12
13 > ppc32 is missing a 2005.1-profile! This is urgent and must
14 > be done soon, so that I can test it. Changes would be to
15 > create profiles for G3, G4, Pegasos, rs6k and OldWorld.
16 > Mostly some USE-Flags must be set or another default
17 > bootloader.
18 >
19 > ppc64 has a nice new profile, but it seems that there are
20 > some hickups ;-)
21
22 The new profiles are in and all under
23 default-linux/ppc/2005.1/{ppc,ppc64}. Check them out while they are
24 still hot.
25
26 > We want to cut the support of too many stages and GRP-sets.
27 > My aim is:
28 > * ppc32-generic (ppc60x, G3/ppc75x)
29 > * ppc32-altivec (G4/ppc74xx)
30 > * ppc64
31
32 Speaking only for ppc64, we have MANY potential targets and have yet to
33 finalize a decision on what we will be providing stages for, what will
34 be going on the main mirrors and what will be hitting bit-torrent. The
35 multilib targets are still a bit too fresh in my opinion to be
36 considering making something as popular as the G5 stages multilib only,
37 chances are that there will be both 32 and 64-bit userland releases.
38 Multilib stuff is probably going to be bit-torrent only, or maybe just a
39 stage1 that users can build off of. There are a lot of choices out there
40 and I'm trying to be conscious of our mirror space.
41
42 Regarding ppc32 I see the following as a good target:
43
44 Generic ppc32 stage1
45 Generic ppc32 stage2
46 G4 stage2
47 Generic ppc32 stage3
48 G4 stage3
49 Pegasos stage3
50
51 This leaves users the ability to create a G3 optimized system off of the
52 Generic stage{1,2}.
53
54 <snip>
55